What Would You Say To Your Younger Self About RPing?
As the title says: what would you say to your younger self about RPing? Anything in terms of staffing, posting/writing, members, character or anything pertaining to this game we all play. Any tips? Any advice to give? Any warnings?
For myself, I'd begin with saying:
- You'll find what you want to pursue in college through your first RP family.
- Don't sweat the small stuff. Things will work themselves in time.
- Don't tolerate anything you wouldn't normally.
- @ me from 14 through 15. Shut your mouth. Shut your ignorant little 15 year old mouth. For the love of god don't be a power-dick. It will bite you in the ass and you'll learn the hardway. You're just a brat. Stop being a brat, little 15 year old me.
- Don't get too attached to people you meet as RPing partners. Everything comes in cycles, and there will be new people that come, and new people that leave. That's just the process of life.
- Trust your instincts when staffing, but don't become so hardened that you become overly defensive and paranoid. Be willing to compromise, but don't let anyone pressure you into a anything you don't want to play or implement.
- Alternatively, be mindful around RPing drama and kill it as soon as you sense it or see it with your own eyes. Don't let others toxicity ruin your own personal business.
- You can't please everyone. Don't even try to. It's pointless. Focus on the majority, but don't cater to every single person. Not everyone is going to like your characters, not everyone is going to like your ideas, not everyone is going to like you. And, you know what? That's perfectly alright. Stay sighted on those who like you.
- Learn to tune out criticism that doesn't provide anything constructive, and understand when to take in criticism that is actually trying to be helpful. It will save you grief in the long-run. You'll have a knack for understanding when someone is trying to help and when someone is just being an asshole.
- Always aim to have fun and make sure the people around you are having fun. If you aren't having fun, it's time to either change something, address something or move on. So MOVE ON and fix it.
- Don't roleplay or staff when you're super stressed. It won't lead to anything fun and bad things tend to happen.
- Don't be afraid to try something new. You may have your likes and comfort zones, but you'd be amazed what kind of amazing experiences you can find by just trying something that might have made you a little scared at first.
- Know that most folks will fade away once you're not in the same RP anymore. Only a few will stick around and become like real friends.
- Don't be afraid to cut all ties to people when they get to be toxic towards you. Just because they claim to be your friend and then turn around and abuse you...doesn't excuse their actions. That isn't friendship. There are others out there that actually care about you as a person rather than just an rp partner that gives them what they want, so you don't need these two-faced so-called friends.
- Don't do things out of obligation. Do it because it brings you joy. If not, then what's the point of it anyway?
- Let. it. go.
- It's going to be alright.
- And most of all: take it easy.
Now it's you guys turn.