Bleach Platinum Hearts RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to The Platinum Hearts Scroller. Here you can find our most recent Of the Year and Of the Season winners. Happy Roleplaying! --- Member of the Year: Locke --- Character of the Year: Alastair Eisfluch --- New Characters of the Year: Mizu Morikawa and Igendai Gyakusuma --- Social Thread of the Year: A Letter for Hymn --- Combat Thread of the Year: Raise Your Spirits --- Member of the Season: Paradigm --- Characters of the Season: Byakuya Kuchiki and Klein Schwarzwotan --- Applications of the Season: Armina Willsaam and Klein Schwarzwotan --- Fight Thread of the Season: Search and Destroy --- Social Thread of the Season: Damage Assessment --- Event Thread of the Season: Midnight Assault
Go down
tina
tina
Seasoned Member

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Hybrid characters? Left_bar_bleue9500/10000Hybrid characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (9500/10000)
Tiers:

Hybrid characters? Empty Hybrid characters?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 pm
Well, this has been something that has bugged me in relation to certain characters of mine. The most common culprit is my character Shani who is a half human, half demon. I have been trying since her creation to figure out a way to really portray both halves of her, but I haven't really found a way to make it work entirely. A ziamichi seems like a nice fit when you look at how they have 2 powersets. However, if you truly look it doesn't really make sense. Ziamichi are effectively 2 beings in one body. This is not Shani, she is a single entity whose body carries the genetics of two races (in this case demon and human). So I propose a new race similar to Ziamichis, Hybrids. Hybrids are individuals who have parents of two different races and exhibit traits of both races. They are neither one race or the other but a mixture of the two. They gain powers from both races, and may be able to fuse them together to develop something beyond.

On a rule front, I personally favor using the current implementation for Ziamichis as a base. Hybrids would have both a primary and secondary race, and would be dual tiered as Ziamichi are. Heck, they could even be a sub-race of Ziamichi, but I think that's a bit of a stretch. Anyways, feel free to comment, give constructive criticism, or add to the idea. All thoughts are welcome.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

CPKallday
CPKallday
The KFC of PH
The KFC of PH
OTM

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Hybrid characters? Left_bar_bleue25/100Hybrid characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (25/100)
Tiers:

Hybrid characters? Empty Re: Hybrid characters?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:25 pm
I do second this notion, but I wouldn't allow anybody that joins to be able to use it. I'd recommend applying an advanced RP ability to it, so people actually work for it. That or just staff approval only...

I also don't think it should be a completely different app, but just something to add into app. That way the app is easier to read. For example you have a human demon so you would fill out which ever app first then have a second one added to it. As each has their own perks and abilities. From there you would have one combined skill sheet as well as one tier and not two like a ziamachi.

Just my two cents.

Edit: By staff approval only I mean admin. Dammit. >.>

Hybrid characters? Sbb1I7e
Kakeru
Kakeru
Nise no Eiyū
ZX's OTM

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Hybrid characters? Left_bar_bleue8700/99999Hybrid characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (8700/99999)
Tiers:

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:32 am
This is my opinion from an Advisor level so I apologize if this seems if I'm being rude, but this is an opinion.

Hybrid characters? 26e0fafa-fd9d-4730-946f-73042677755e_zps1f1a9b92

While this is a great idea, and I think it would be wonderful I do see some serious issues popping up that could cause problems for just plain Hybrids, and I shall begin on my dissent then I'll point out the positives, because I'm in that kind of mood where I think a good discussion could lead into better forethoughts into races and how they mix.

Some of the pertinent negatives, are some of the prehybrid like races, Vizard, or Hybrid Iramasha, and Ziamichi. Each one of them has very specific Draw backs to the user, for instance with the Vizard, they lose Shikokai (Which is arguably the strongest a Shinigami's release can be.) They loose a good amount of Kido until they re-learn it, which is a pain, and they also have a constant Hollow in the back of their mind that wants to take over them. With Hybrid Iramasha's on the other hand, they are typically Angel/Demon Iramasha, and they typically can't have a full Angelic release like a Angel could, May be reaching on the class of Angel itself, or close to a demon with Demon Iramasha. Now the largest issue is the mash-ups that could occur that would cause problems. Another one I can think of is the Hohi Acquero, or how ever you spell it, They lose a Volstanding but they get their definite Hollow releases, which means they lose a lot of their quinciness for more Hollowness.

For example a Vizard+Ziamichi Hybrid would be simply hell to deal with, because you literally could make a Vizard with another mixed race, and basically have a character with resistances to all groups of people so on and so forth, without much work outside of the racials, which is a huge nono. Also learning sets of Racials from separate groups is often frowned upon because of the practicality the Racial has in usage with a certain person, Linking back to a Vizardmichi, They literally could have so many broken ways to get into areas and at the same time not have any resistance because of the fact their other racial would make up for it and make it too easy for them to break in without some form of detection which isn't exactly the greatest thing to have lying around.

Although It would allow for much more flexibility, it would make characters that would be too flexible to the point where it would be pointless to engage in a serious battle because they could litterally rely on racials and not be tired from simple maneuvers that they could easily use in a broken manner. I do like the concept of a mixed race, but it would need a lot more draw backs, and they would have to have some form of a side effect from using both races skills, like a larger drain on energy when they use the recessive race's skills or something like that. It would have to be logical, I'm not saying don't try it, what I'm saying is that you need to be VERY candid on what it does, what setbacks it has, and overall what's the limit on what it can learn on either side, and what combinations CAN and CANNOT be used, because that's also a huge issue what hybrid combinations would be in mind that could potentially break the flow of RP in not a good way.

Hybrid characters? GFHHFG_zpsj1vrrfxz
tina
tina
Seasoned Member

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Hybrid characters? Left_bar_bleue9500/10000Hybrid characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (9500/10000)
Tiers:

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:15 am
Alright, it's been a while since I posted this up, but I've been busy trying to get other things done, both on the site and in my real life. However, I'm here to reply to what has been said above. So first off, thank you so much to CPK and Kakeru for putting out their thoughts. I created this thread to gather thoughts and try to find a way to make this work out. I want all the thoughts I can get, because I understand that such a thing could cause major issues, as Kakeru has pointed out. On to specific points, I'll start with CPK's post first. I believe having hybrid characters be carefully watched would be well and good, as well as allowing only a select handful of people to use them at first, people we know will cooperate if adjustments need to be made (sorta like beta testers). As Kakeru has pointed out, this has the potential to cause a lot of trouble if not looked at closely. Also, after thinking about it, I believe you are right, hybrids (if implemented) should not be dual tiered, or based off Ziamichi. I say this as I realized that I already have a character who is a hybrid, or what could be called the closest thing to a hybrid app. Tessa Morrowend was based off being a hybrid of dragon and shinigami, and I used vizard as the base for formulating rules involving her.

This ties in to what Kakeru said, they're are already hybrid like races out there, and combining any of the hybrid like races together could mess with things greatly. As such, like is already done with Vizard Ziamichis, they are pretty much a no go in almost every situation. I don't even know of one character who I know for sure is a vizard ziamichi. Basically, I am saying that the mixing of hybrid races should either need the ultimate authority on the site (aka frost's permission), or should be banned outright, due to the issues they can cause. Looking in to Kakeru's post, he points out that Vizard's have to deal with their inner hollow, they lose their highest release, and so on. Couldn't such attributes be done to hybrids as well? Couldn't we go with a 2 and 2 release? basically hybrids wouldn't be able to access more then 2 of their releases from their primary race, and would gain an "awakening" release plus the first release of their secondary race. the awakening release would be similar to a vizard putting on their hollow mask, it allows them to use their base powers during the awakening release. To substitute for the issues with the inner hollow, we can add an instability factor to hybrids, their bodies have a hard time utilizing their secondary race set, and using them to often can cause a person to go mad. Basically, what I'm saying is, couldn't we adapt the rule set used for vizards to be used for hybrid characters?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Teitoku
Teitoku
Blackblood

Member Info
Platinum Points:
Hybrid characters? Left_bar_bleue0/0Hybrid characters? Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Tiers:

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 am
This has is rather old and I haven't seen it followed up, if you wish this discussion to continue, contact me and I will move it back. But as it stands, moved.

Hybrid characters? Ap8OoJO

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum