Lai Zhang (赖张) is the name of a Chinese-American refugee who fled from the United States due to Shadow Fall's control over the nation. The name "Lai" (赖) is the Chinese word for future, while her surname "Zhang" (张) most commonly means "archer" in English. Her English name is Liana, which is used by most of her non-chinese friends and colleagues. Lai is often used by higher ups, but will also be used by close friends who know her quite well. »Epithet:
Demi-sexual »Appearance: »Body type:
Rather muscular in figure, Lai Zhang's body figure is very well toned and strong. As a woman who is consistently fighting, and has deep involvement in the Vastimian military, she has the physique of a woman in pique condition for her age. She appears slender, matching that of a woman who is strong in cardio, while holding a strong muscle definition, meaning she is hardened and physically strong for a human her age. The first thought that comes to mind when seeing Lai's appearance would usually be that she is a fearsome, and strong woman. She the type of woman you would approach in a bar, and leave with pieces of glass sliced into your head. She stands at 5'10, and weighs around 70kg. »Face, eyes and hair:
She has a rather angular face overall, her chin is rather pointed and has a very northern China physique. As her heritage is based out of Beijing, China, her strong features and tall body is a very defining feature. Her eyes are rather wide and slanted, and has a very strong brow definition. Her hair is a dark maroon, almost purple/red in colour, that runs down her back in a small pony tail. Her eyes are brown, but under certain lights seems to glow a soft red. »Tattoos, piercings and markings:
The most obvious tattoo she has is sported on her right arm, a tribal-like tattoo that runs from the side of her neck down her arm and to her elbow. It curls in a typical tribal fashion, but it is far from her only tattoo. She has another tattoo on the back of her neck which has the characters "张" for her surname. For Lai, representing her family is a very important part of her life, and though they are not with her at this very moment, she wishes to do them proud in life. Even if they are ignorant to her lifestyle and occupation. »Irregularities and scars:
Although she is battle hardened, majority of her scars appear under her clothes. Her most obvious one is a scar on the palm of her right hand that looks cut very deep, but the others are typically upon her upper body and on her back, which are mostly hidden by her singlet. »Main outfit:
Most of the time, Lai will be seen in a black tank top for her upper body, on either shoulder being holsters for her twin .50 cal pistols. On her waist is a black, loose belt, which holds up her short-shorts which appear to be very high-ripped jeans, a fuzzy white ripping around their edges. Though she has bare legs, her combat boots are tinted entirely black, and run laces high up her shins. »Impatient:
One of her most defining traits is how impatient Lai is. She is a woman of self discipline and has spent a lot of time in the military, so finding time for people who make her wait or treat her poorly is a tough task. People who are lackadaisical and tend to half ass a job, she will often chew them out and give them shit. Though she is impatient, this also proves she is a very hands on person. If she has a job to be done, she will do it in the most efficient way possible. She will often overlook some things in the process of "getting the job done", but the most annoying part of her impatience is how she will rush everyone around her. If someone is lazing, or doing a half asses job, she will do her best to kick their asses into gear and get them up and running so they can all go home. If she is doing something, she will complete it, no time for breaks or screwing around. »Strong Willed:
Another defining trait is how strong of a mentality she boasts. Though she is not a powerhouse like so many people in the world, she is often faced with many adversities and problems that begin to cause stress. She has shown time and time again to never crack under this pressure and lead others who falter back into a positive, working mindset. Even when mental trauma becomes a problem, she has proven a remarkable, almost supernatural ability, to push through mental barriers. Should someone actually try to "break" her, Lai would need to undergo extreme conditions to even bring her to that point. This is why torture is often such a terrible method to use on her, no matter what is done to her body, she will not break. For this reason, a mental assault is mostly necessary, but even then will only work if she truly has her mentality warped. »Duty Focused:
Almost hand in hand with her other traits, Lai is veyr duty focused. As she is often working with the Vastimian military, she has a very strong sense of duty. Though she has a strong set of ideals that she would act on individually, a lot of her dedication to the military stops her from acting on these urges. Though, when she is usually called into action, she will not show mercy. Though she is strong willed, she definitely knows her place within the military and will follow the chain of command if necessary. »Joker:
Although she is serious, and has a very duty focused mindset, she is not above having a joke. As she is often in stressful situations and locations which might break a person, a lot of her crutch is to make light of it and joke about it. Even though it's a crutch, it seems to be something of a normality for her. She will bully, joke and poke fun at friends, family and everyone around her - not even higher-ups are above her jokes. Though she knows her place in the hierarchy, she knows that she is too good at her job to lose it from any form of disrespect. »Morally Grey:
This is where Lai lives. In the morally grey. She is a person who has strong ideals, and doesn't believe in half-done jobs. Which is why her morality turns rather murky grey as for heinous crimes, she is of the belief a bullet through the brain is better than due process. She does not believe in second chances, and if someone were to fuck up, a bullet will solve that problem so it never happens again. She is hardy, strong, and sure she knows how to make a joke and chill out, more often than not she considers the only true form of justice to be death. No point in saving those who rightfully doom themselves by their actions. She is also highly aware that many would consider her job, her role in being the "executioner" of these people are hypocritical, and she is highly aware of this. But in her mind, it's a "greater good" situation. »Drunkard:
Almost hand in hand with her joker attitude, she is quite often seen as being a drunkard. She will drink for fun, she will drink to drown her sorrows, but most importantly she will drink because it numbs her emotions and lets her live a life of battle without blowing her own brains out. Due to this she has a very high alcohol tolerance and it would take a lot for her to get truly black-out drunk. » Spiritual Compression:
Though she has very few powers, her nature as a spiritual human has given her a few small advantages that allow her to utilize her tools to their maximum efficiency. In comparison to most, she has a very small pool of spiritual energy, but by compressing this energy within her, she is able to strengthen non-physical aspects of herself. This means that this compression is most often used to strengthen her eyesight, making a maximum of 2km visible perfectly until it becomes to fade out. This can be done to other bodily functions as well, meaning it can instantly (and subconsciously) increase reaction times, reflex in general, and even go so far as delete pain in some areas. This spiritual compression is a unique power that basically floods a specific location in her body with an overwhelming amount, so much that it can then warp a sensation, an emotion, or even warp the way the eye gives signals to the brain (like how it can effect her eyesight).
This cannot be done to strengthen her physical body, making her hit harder or become tougher. This is mostly only possible on theoretical and non-physical traits that send signals to the body. » Twin 9mm Cutlass
Lai has named her twin pistols as the "Cutlass", due to their pirate-esque skull and swords printed on the side of the barrel. The guns themselves are identical in every fashion, and both are said to chamber bullets of 9mm. Though they are rather old and outdated in appearance for the 25th century, Lai has a unique attachment to them as they were passed down through her family as a method of protection. On the bottom of the barrel, the symbol for Zhang (张) is printed, albeit solidly weathered. Each pistol is capable of chambering different types of rounds, and has been modified by Vastime to have individually unique traits to each bullet type.
- Spiritual Spiral: This is the first type of unique ammunition that Lai has available to her. Implied by it's name, the spiritual spiral is a bullet specifically designed for incapacitating spiritual beings. Though it depends on the tier and person in question, the moment the spiritual spiral lands on a target, it is said to compress and attract spiritual energy within a person's body into itself. This can not only zap people surprisingly of energy (until the bullet and effects wear off) but even kill them if fired at spiritual beings which have a low spiritual power to begin with. Depending on the amount of spiritual energy within a body, and how long it remains there, once two posts have past, will implode in on itself, utiziling the spiritual pressure of the person to rip apart the bullet and cause a mini-explosion within the body. Even if the bullet is removed, if it has zapped enough spiritual essence it can still explode in a small area on the outside of the body. When hit by this, the person may temporarily find it hard to move, unless removed quickly and feel the after effects of the bullet for some time. She carries a total of 50 spiritual spirals every thread, unless stated otherwise.
- Explosive tip: As it's name suggests, the 9mm explosive tips add a rather destructive feature to her bullets. Compact into the tip of the bullet, Lai has shown to fire mini explosives that can cover 100 meters in diameter of pure fiery explosion. She carries a total of 20 of these, unless stated otherwise.
Unless specified, these are the normal bullets she carries. She has access to a wide variety of different Vastime resources, meaning that she can often get different types of bullets on the fly, and will often arrive to a location with a bunch of unique ammunition and equipment. » Other equipment:
Though she uses mostly guns, she has an array of different weapons and tools she uses on the fly.
- Mobile Phone: One of her most commonly used pieces of tech, Lai Zhang uses a rather advanced and holographic styled phone.
- Body Map: At her will, she is capable of pulling out a small device which gives her personal updates on her body's health, the way it functions, and any irregularities that may enter it. Perfect for examining her own functionality.
- Spiritual Assessor: Though somewhat faulty at higher tiers, she has been prototyping a device which accesses the spiritual level in approximation. When aimed at someone, she will get a number reading from 1 to 100. Right now, 5 tiers show up at 1-25, 4 tiers as 26-50, 3 tiers at 51-75, and 2 tiers at 76-100. As it is a prototype, this does not work on anything above 2tier and will often be faulty.
- Nanites: Throughout her body, she has a set of small machines which travel in her body and gives feedback to the body map system. These will not only seek to give updates, but they will often combat smaller toxins, poisons and invasive systems. Due to these, she rarely ever gets sick.
Many assumptions have been made about Lai Zhang's past. Though it would make sense for her to fall into a sob story, that her family was slaughtered and she is seeking vengeance from a world that has wronged her. No, no. Instead, Lai's story doesn't go into that much pain. Lai's birth place was within the United States of America, during a period prior to Shadow Fall occupation. Though their life wasn't perfect, they had a decent life that allowed her family, her father and mother, to give her a normal upbringing. Though even from a young age she had issues with anger and authority, she grew up to be a rather rebellious teenager. Always disobeying her parents during her teenage years, she would never really... truly listen to them. By the time she was 20 years old, the world had begun to change drastically.
Not only did Shadow Fall make a swift occupation of America after the European conflict which left London as a giant ash heap, but they quickly realised they were becoming a product and people who aligned with chaos and disorder the more they stayed there. It was hard for Lai to be separated from her family at that point, though she had a boyfriend and intentions prior to occupation, Lai began to break off all other relationships than her own family. Her views on family began to shift, and not only did they become the most important thing in her life, but they became THE only important thing. Hey boyfriend didn't matter, her friends didn't. What mattered was living through this version of demonic America, a landscape that was once welcoming became something they didn't know how to handle.
Not long after the occupation and Mana announced herself as President, Lai Zhang and her family were one of the first refugees to set sail for the developing nation of Vastime. Not only did they find a new home in the nation of a previously war-torn Africa, but they found a cultural shift and mix-mash that they had never known. The people were kind, they were welcoming, and not only did they move themselves out of their primarily Chinese community in the United States, but they began to interact with many different cultures and people.
Even as she grew up, Lai was involved with the military from a young age. As her father worked for the United States military for most of his life, and was retired since her birth, he was the major catalyst in making her love guns - and helped develop her natural eye for aiming. The moment she arrived in Vastime, she had enlisted in the military right away. She had a very strong set of ideals, but a life of military running through her veins allowed her to quickly follow suit and take a position among the soldiers and fall in line. Over the past eight years, she had spent a lot of her time climbing the ranks and ending up at a rather comfortable position within the group, a position that would allow her to exert her "no second chances" ideal, and work as a hit-man of sorts that would be used when mercy was beyond an option. She had been through countless torture attempts, and had her mentality on the verge of breaking so many times, it became normal. It grew her into this tough, unafraid person she is today - and she wouldn't change a single second of it. General Skills
Human Reiatsu Sheet
- Durability: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Trained/Beginner/Untrained
- General Speed: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Strength: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Weapon Skill: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Power Control: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Energy Usage/Regeneration: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Energy Resistance/Endurance: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Physical Augmentation: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Willpower/Determination: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Mental Deduction: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained
- Focus: Elite/Advanced/Adept/Beginner/Untrained