UNDERSTANDING THE CONSTRUCT SOULS
THE MOD SOULS OF PLATINUM HEARTS
I. What are the Mod Souls?M
od Souls are a variation on Gikon, or Soul Candy. Initially created by Shinigami under Project Spearhead with the intention of creating ready-made artificial Soldiers to combat hollows. Per design, Kaizō Konpaku or Mod Souls, as they are more commonly called, are designed to be placed into a human corpse, from which they ingrain into the body and then after a brief conversion of the flesh into workable form, would be a combat-ready Soldier. Most Mod Souls were not only created with a general capability for combat, but also with specially programmed Unique Ability, this special ‘Modification’ is where the ‘Mod’ portion of their name comes from.
I. Where Mod Souls Come From
Each and Every Mod Soul originates from those created in Project Spearhead, and as Such most Mod Souls have been completely Exterminated due to the ethical problems that arose from the premise behind the project itself. Mod Souls generally are scattered throughout the realms, either those who were accidentally moved around, those that were hoarded by various individuals privy to the Project, and so on.
However, a very small number of these Mod Souls managed to either Find Gigais or Human Bodies to take for their own. Because of this, a number of Mod Souls wound up blending in and mixing with the human Population, resulting in offspring that carried remnants of their Modified Parents. These offspring stemming from the First Generation Mod Souls came to be known as Mod Humans, inheriting all of the abilities of their Mod Soul parents, with the exception that their soul is not confined to a Pill. As such, although a Mod Human can perform many of the abilities intrinsic to being a Mod Soul, they do not have a pill and thus cannot take on other bodies.
Finally, beyond both First Generation and Later Generation Mod Souls, there are a rare Sort of Precursor Mod Souls. Rather than Modified Artificial Souls, these entities are created from the modified remnants of Monster and other creatures captured by Soul Society who for one reason or another were not or could not be completely eradicated. When Project Spearhead was first started, fragments of these creatures were used as prototypes to be modified and given basic Mod Soul capabilities as it was deemed unethical to subject Gikon to Modification processes that had yet been proven effective. Incredibly rare, these Mod Prototypes are living shards of legends and myths.
In Incredibly rare cases, some individuals have taken it upon themselves to attempt to replicate or steal the original Mod Soul creation techniques for their own various purposes. Not only is this a rare occurrence, but also one that is incredibly Clandestine in nature as the few who are aware of the existence of Mod Souls also know that Soul Society would take none too kindly to such an effort. That said, knockoff Mod Souls are not unheard of, generally involving either the use of knockoff artificial souls or by modifying existing souls and subjecting them to pill form. These are generally referred to as Outlier Mod Souls.
I. Behavior and Attributes
Mod Souls are generally quite independent, at times indistinguishable from a normal humans. Unlike their more servile and owner-dependent cousins the Soul Candies, Mod Souls were designed to be self-sufficient and driven so as to be useful in combat and situations where they may not be directly supervised. Mod Souls were created to be soldiers and as such often have an innate sense of basic combat and how to fight and utilize their powers that is simply inherent in their programming, because of this Mod Souls generally have a leg up on most races as they are born with a basic knowledge of their abilities and can very quickly learn to grow and advance them. Not only this, but Mod Souls have a built-in drive toward purpose and duty making them incredibly apt at adapting and thriving in situations, which may be why so many of them managed to survive despite the attempted extermination of their race.
Because of this programming, Mod souls and even their offspring have a tendency to be very self-driven and decisive, at least much moreso than your average human or other race. Though as another side-effect they are much more prone to seek out structure and are very often found either forming groups with whatever other race they happen to encounter, meaning that they can be found under just about any banner or with the company of just about any race. Even Mod Prototypes and Outlier Mod Souls have these qualities ingrained into them, as it was an intended failsafe to make them easier to work with. While Mod Souls are capable of operating on their own, it is still much rarer for them to do so.
Mod Souls themselves are small, genderless Spheres for the most part and since they have the ability to inhabit just about any body, they can BE just about anything. Not only capable of inhabiting any human gigai or corpse they come across, but as MANY who have found with Mod Souls, they can inhabit just about any physical object with sufficiently body-like structure by modifying it to the point of usability as a body. Because of this Mod Souls could be just about anyone or anything.
In the case of Mod Humans, this is much more restrictive and they will generally take on the physical characteristics of the other parent race.
I. AbilitiesMod Root
The basis for all Mod Soul abilities and how Mod Souls Function. Designed originally to be placed into human corpses as expendable shock troopers, these roots are designed to be injected into a physical medium, at which point the mod soul will inject it's soul into the surrounding material and then possess and modify it into a proper body. This function was originally intended to allow the mod soul to occupy and utilize a corpse which on it's own would have no actual means of locomotion, let alone combat ability.
However, as an unintended byproduct, this ability allows Mod Souls not only to occupy physical bodies of living creatures, but also occupy physical vessels which have no actual means of motion or other function, and there are numerous examples of Mod Souls being placed into inanimate objects even as simple as a stuffed toy (primarily just cotton fibers) and being able to modify them into a fully functioning body, though these examples do often suffer inferior physical performance to human bodies. However, this is mainly due to most Mod Souls only being limited to their pre-programmed execution of this function, and with growth, practice, and learning about how this ability functions: a mod soul will be able to make any vessel perform well beyond it's normal limitations. At higher levels of expertise, a Mod Soul does not even need an actual physical vessel, and can simply make one by overriding the base function and treating it's immediate surroundings as a 'vessel' and simply remodel it into a working functioning vessel.
Because of this injection of spiritual energy, a Mod soul’s vessel is considered a halfway point between living and dead as it is comprised of both Physical and Spiritual material. Because of this, organs and other normally vital areas are mostly superfluous, a Mod Soul’s only vital point is their Pill.
- Untrained: The Mod Soul is capable only of using the pre-programmed version of this ability. They can inhabit any sufficiently body-like vessel and convert it into a workable body, though the body will generally function at a capacity restricted to the materials used, and augmenting is more or less nonexistant outside of Programmed Mod Abilities that involve physical augment.
- Beginner: The Mod Soul is capable of converting their vessel of choice with some more freedom. In addition to inhabiting the vessel, they can also somewhat repair it over time by using existing mass and structures (A doll could be 'repaired' by moving around some of it's mass, whereas an organic body would be able to utilize it's natural healing as if it were alive).
- Adept: The Mod Soul begins learning how to better alter their physical vessel. In addition to making makeshift repairs or utlizing built-in recovery, they are able to start creating unique modifications to their body on the fly. They may create a Root Ability, which is a power which alters some aspect of their body to perform some function or benefit that their physical shell would not normally be able to perform. This also allows them to freely control their vessel's outward appearance.
- Advanced: The Mod Soul's ability to modify their form not only increases, but the limits of what constitutes a 'physical shell' begin to broaden. In addition to suitably body-like shells, Mod Souls gain the ability to inject their roots into their environment and simply MAKE a body for themselves by possessing nearby matter and modifying it to the point of functioning as their body. These forms tend to be weak, and as such a newly-made vessel will generally function at 2 levels below the user's usual in terms of Power Tier and Skills for 4 posts, at which point the makeshift body will still function with skills and Tier reduced by 1 level until they can find a proper vessel. At this level, the process is also very taxing and can considerably exhaust a mod soul if it is done in combat as if they were fighting at full force for hours. It can only be performed once per thread.
- Elite: At this level, Mod Souls gain the ability to learn a second Root Ability, adding another function/utility which can be applied to their vessel. Additionally, their ability to simply make themselves a vessel out of something not already suited for one increases. Their weakened state is reduced to 2 posts at 2 levels below, and 2 posts at 1 level below before their new vessel can operate as full capacity. The energy needed to perform this task is also reduced to the equivalent of a couple hours of strenuous physical activity. This can be performed twice per thread.
- Master: Upon reaching this level, Mod Souls can learn up to Four total Root Abilities. Also, their ability to simply create a vessel for themselves is almost instantaneous, with only a single post in which they operate at 1 level below their usual tier and skills before reaching full operating capacity. This process also is much less tiring, similar to about half an hour of strenuous exercise. This can be performed up to three times per thread.
- Grand Master: The ultimate for Mod Souls. Not only are they able to create a new vessel instantly with almost no strain (equivalent of a warmup exercise), they require no time to reach full strength. Mod souls of this caliber are incredibly hard to kill as they can simply make a new body for themselves up to four times per thread and with almost no energy drain. Beyond making proper vessels, Mod Souls of this caliber can even inject their Roots into theior environment and briefly treat it as if it were a part of their current vessel, allowing broad manipulation of the environment within a limited area (determined by Power Tier).
An ability derived from Mod Root. This ability is utilized by Mod Souls to toughen their skin beyond normal concepts of durability by dragging in physical or spiritual material in their environment to reinforce their skin by integrating this material into it. A mod soul with Adept Mod Root ability can drag in ambient reishi and air molecules to reinforce their skin to be hard like leather. At Advanced they can further reinforce their body to be hard as slate or shale. At Elite they can make their body hard as iron as they gain the ability to drag in physical materials and layer them into their exterior. At Master and above, a Mod Soul can make their outer layer hard as a tank's armor plating.Origin Root
A form of release for Mod Souls. By dragging in tremendous amounts of physical and/or spiritual material, they can transform the body they inhabit to greatly augment their abilities. This release amplifies their abilities by about Three Times their base state. Because of the simplicity of the process in which this is accomplished, it is not particularly difficult for a Mod Soul to accomplish this state.
- Untrained: At this level a Mod soul is incapable of using Origin Root in any real capacity.
- Beginner: Origin Root lasts for just 4 posts and can only be used once per thread. This release also tends to be very simple and may not even have any special abilities associated with it.
- Adept:, Origin Root lasts for 8 posts and can be used once per thread. At this level, Origin Root abilities begin to develop in their infancy.
- Advanced:, Origin Root lasts for 8 posts and can be used 2 times per thread. One's Origin Root powers become FAR more specialized and dangerous. This can be likened to a veteran Shinigami's Shikai.
- Elite: Origin Root lasts for 10 posts but can be used 2 times per thread. Origin Root abilities become diverse and dangerous. Not only that but the boost from Origin root becomes similar to a Shinigami's Bankai..
- Master: Origin root lasts for 8 posts and can be used 1 times per thread. Origin Root abilities are fearsome and fine-tuned to a terrifying degree. At this level a Mod Soul's release can be considered similar to an Ultimate Release, though can be released at Bankai level for 18 posts independent of the higher level of release.
- Grandmaster: Origin Root lasts for 10 posts and can be used once per thread. A release at this level is on par with any race's Ultimate Release, but can be released at Bankai level for up to 20 posts, independent of the higher level of release's duration.
A Pre-programmed ability ingrained in all Mod Souls. This high-speed ability is almost identical to the shinigami technique Shunpo, however rather than simply focusing reiryoku into the user’s legs, this technique additionally briefly modifies the Mod Soul’s body to strengthen their legs as well as softening and increasing the elasticity of the ambient material they are standing on or in before the execution of the step and as such is more of a martial technique than a spiritual one. Because of this, the user does not exert any spirit energy and the move itself has no spiritual signature that can be sensed, allowing it to slip through techniques like Pesquisa.
- Untrained: At this level a Mod soul is incapable of using Konpo in any real capacity.
- Beginner: At this level Konpo is barely servicable and somewhat sloppy. On the low end, users generally will only be able to use it to move short distances at a bit of a cost to their stamina, while on the high end users can be considered just slightly below average and able to really only use Konpo a couple times before getting tired.
- Adept:, Your average Konpo user, capable of quickly and effectively getting from place to place with a reasonable level of accuracy.
- Advanced: A Konpo user at this stage can not only move at higher speed than your average shunpo or sonido user, but can also begin to make the technique a bit their own, allowing the use of custom variations and creative execution of the move beyond what would normally be utilized.
- Elite: The pinnacle of expertise that anyone can feasibly reach in a normal lifetime. At this level Konpo is incredibly fast, accurate, and can generally outperform anyone who isn't a master at high speed movement. At this level, Konpo is truly made their own and users can string attacks and actions through their konpo like tapestries of high speed carnage.
- Master: A level very few attain. Konpo of this level can be mistaken for teleportation to those slow enough, and with such precision that a Master Konpo user could weave their way through an active battlefield in a single step without so much as disturbing a leaf. Users at this level generally have numerous special variations of the ability and have truly made it their own.
- Grandmaster: Konpo at this level may as well be teleportation. None but the absolute fastest individuals with similar skill in their own high speed movement will even have a chance of tracing the rapid motions of these konpo experts. Individuals at this level not only generally have numerous variations of Konpo at their disposal, but even their most basic deployment of the technique can be considered art in how easily and effortlessly it can be employed.
In addition to their basic Mod Soul programming, Mod souls additionally have access to their unique abilities that grow and develop as would any other race. In most cases this is the pre-programmed ability implanted in the soul when the mod soul was created or modified, though individuals of a high enough level with this skill have been known to develop additional powersets.
- Untrained: At this level a Mod soul is capable of only the most mundane application of their programmed ability, and in most cases this level of Power Control cannot be used safely or usefully in combat.
- Beginner: The Mod Soul has learned to use their Power in combat at the mose basic level. On the high end, Mod souls may be able to pull off some creative tricks with how their base ability functions but they are still primarily constrained to the pre-programmed confines of their ability.
- Adept: Finally evolution, the Mod Soul begins to be able to adapt and diversify their power beyond the confines of what it was originally designed to be. This is where most competent mod souls wind up and begin creating their own unique little tweaks and adaptations to their Power on a basic level.
- Advanced: Their Programmed ability was just the start and now the Mod soul gains the ability not only to shift and adjust their own power into new and creative avenues but they also gain the ability to develop secondary Powers alongside their initial Pre-Programmed ability. At this level, some of the higher end Mod souls will have a second power at most.
- Elite: The Pinnacle of what your average Mod Soul is capable of. In addition to fully exploring the possibilities of their primary programmed ability, the Mod soul also gains mastery and expansion over the additional Powers that they have developed. At the low end of this level, most Mod Souls will have developed a second Power, on the High end some Mod souls will ahev developed a Third or even Fourth Power at most.
- Master: At this level a Mod Soul has began to find the limits of what their Primary Programmed ability is even capable of, and generally has developed multiple other powers and developed them to a comparable level. Mod souls still will generally never develop more than 4 powers in this way without outside influence, but those powers are just as potent as their Pre-programmed ability.
- Grandmaster: The Top of the Mountain, the absolute pinnacle of ability. The only Mod Souls that reach this level are those that have broken the limitations of their original pre-programmed power and have developed at LEAST two other fully-fledged powers if not three. These powers are lethal, expansive, and incredibly dangerous when employed.